Sunday, February 12, 2012

We've got someone in your area

No one likes cold callers, or at least I've never met anyone who does. I've learnt a way of getting some fun out of them as long as they get me at the right time. I should point out that I have added our number to never be called by cold callers but they always manage to find me.

Busby, the first cold caller


The worst are the automated ones, the most recent one asked me my name and then told me to press one if it was me, when I did the phone started to ring and then a human answered asking me my reference number, I pointed out that as they had called me I would have expected them to know the reference number, sheesh.

In the now forgotten soap Brookside there was a character who liked to wind up telesales people, putting them on hold was the main way and seeing how long they stay on the phone. I appreciate some people have a job to do but if that job involves being deceitful or trying to mislead someone into something they don't want then expect me to try and waste your time a bit.

A recent call informed me that they could save me money by having solar panels fitted on our property, the pleasant young lady informed me that they "were calling every home in the country", I asked if they would be taking on more staff as that would take them a long time, "just a minute" she replied "I'll put you on to my supervisor", I guess some questions are just too tough.

There's also a frequent caller that tells me that they would like to fit windows and doors free of charge in our property and that they have someone in our area, when I asked which area, the reply tends to be "your area", they don't actually know where I live.

I really don't understand the necessity of this type of selling, I'm not convinced it ever works, obviously they must have some success or they wouldn't keep doing it, but it seems to encourage dishonesty and even if I did want double glazing I wouldn't hang around waiting for a phone call, I'd check the companies available out and see what was on offer.

Despite having been selling stuff most of my adult life I've never really considered myself as a salesman, I prefer to let the items sell themselves, if enough people can see something and they still don't want it, I'm not going to push them into it. When I've watched the TV series The Apprentice, some of the selling techniques leave a lot to be desired, it's all about the sale, not the after sale or even the next sale, when the sale is done then they think that's it. I like to think that the sale is the beginning of a relationship, that the customer will be happy with the product (and if not be freely able to let me know and I'll sort it for them) and the price and want to buy from me again, if they don't I consider it a failure. I don't have a script to read from, I won't bend the truth and unless you show an interest in what I'm selling I won't even bother you, I doubt I'll even have anyone in your area!

No comments:

Post a Comment